George A. Saunders
Summary: noted New Orleans architect who served on the faculty of Tulane University School of Architecture from 1951 to 1955 before entering private practice, who had practiced independently as well as with the firms of Lawrence, Saunders & Calogne and Lawrence & Saunders, whose individual work and that with his partner, former Tulane School of Architecture dean John Lawrence, Sr., included many private residences, commercial buildings, and church facilities in the greater New Orleans area like the Elysian Fields Methodist Church, Gretna Methodist Church, St. Bernard Methodist Church, Corpus Christi Chapel of St. Joseph Seminary, Pope John XIII Library of St. Mary's Dominican College, St. Stanislaus High School (Bay St. Louis), Methodist Hospital, and the International Hotel, who received numerous awards from the American Institute of Architects, Louisiana Architects Association, Architectural Record, and Progressive Architecture.
Cause of Death: Complications from surgery during his evacuation in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina
Born: January 7, 1920
Died: March 25, 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia